Reducing irregular migration to the EU by strengthening the capacity of migration-related structures in the Western Balkans
Project period: March 2021 - February 2022
Project implemented by:
- Hilfswerk International Representation Office Sarajevo
- Association for Help and Development HAJDE
Project financed by:
- Austrian Federal Ministry of the Interior (BMI)
- Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF)
To contribute to better cooperation in the Western Balkans to reduce irregular migration to the European Union.
The specific objective is to strengthen migration-related structures in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, North Macedonia and Montenegro through capacity building for better cooperation, networking and coordination.
- Organisation of meetings and conferences with the main national stakeholders and migration-relevant structures, wih the aim of establishing regional cooperation and developing a regional strategy to control irregular migration in the Western Balkan countries.
- Organisation of workshops and training for members of security and border structures, with a focus on efficient methods of communication and exchange of best practices and experiences.
- Development of an analysis and assesment of needs related to srengthening internal capacities in the four project countries.
- Needs assesment related to the development of a strategy for the readmission of migrants and support in the development of readmission plans for returning migrants to countries of origin.
- Simplifying communication with migrants through translation tools with the most common languages they speak, with the goal of faster identification and information gathering related to countries of origin and ways of entry into the project countries.
- Final thematic conference in Vienna for all key project stakeholders.